Sunday, June 24, 2012

Some Of My Favorite "Secret Stack of Books"

I know, I know, to call a book a "Secret Stack of Book" is grammatically incorrect, but it feels much righter ;-) than saying a "Secret Stack of Books Book". With my comfort in our incorrectness now established, I would like to share some of my most favorite children's authors and books I have had the pleasure to get to know through this nightly ritual.

First and foremost, the one and only ROSEMARY WELLS. Every book she has written has warmed my heart. She makes me feel like a happy, loved little girl. You might know her characters Max and Ruby, but I am especially fond of her characters Yoko and Timothy, who make a stellar appearance in a few of her books.





 And I will forever admire Hazel's amazing mother. She truly is amazing, and knows exactly what to do to protect her daughter and help her feel safe.





Next, Mr. MO WILLEMS. He is awesome! And I am not talking about the Pigeon who wants to drive that blasted bus. My favorite book of his is called "Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed". It is a genius way to tell children that it's ok to do away with limitations rudely imposed by those around us, and that it is more than ok to be yourself and have your own big ideas.





Also, his easy readers "Elephant and Piggie" are a much needed boost to the category of learning-to-read books. They are funny, they have a story that actually makes sense, and the illustrations (as all of his book art) are simple and eye-catching.



Third, KEVIN HENKES. Have you met Chester? or Lilly? They are a force to be reckoned with and I highly recommend being their friend. You will be a little nervous around them for what they might do next, and at the same time you will be forever in love with them. Kind of like me with my 3 year old Joanna :-)



I also love Lilly's Plastic Purple Purse, Lilly's Big Day and Owen. Too bad I don't have those handy right now.


Lastly (but not leastly) for now, I must mention the Buehners. CARALYN and MARK BUEHNER are a local team (Salt Lake City) and have come up with some fun stories. Fanny's Dream is about a farm girl who dreams of meeting the mayor's son and becoming her own kind of Cinderella.




Snowmen at Night makes us wonder about the whereabouts of snowmen while we are not watching. Have you ever wondered why they don't last very long? Other than the physics of matter changing from solid to liquid?




Excuse my blurry pictures. If you are intrigued by any of these picture books, check them out from the library or buy them, and give them a good read. The picture quality is much better in person and the stories are guaranteed to make you happy.

2 comments:

  1. I love Lily! And the snowmen. But you've listed others I need to discover. Thanks!
    My suggestions: "Sheep in a Jeep" & "Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge"
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices, we also love Sandra Boynton, and Where the Wild things are, especially if it's dad reading it.

    ReplyDelete