Monday, May 10, 2010

In the Motherhood

Another mother's day has come and gone. I had a good one. Did you?

Motherhood has been on my mind lately, actually it's always on my mind because I have 4 constant reminders ("mom look!", "mom i need...", "mom she's bugging me", "mom! help!", "mooooooommm!", and even "mom, don't you know?")

There are two general feelings that thus far have been associated with my mothering experience: exhaustion and joyful love.

Home life is relentless, it takes no breaks. It is overwhelming at times, and although so many people say that these young demanding years go by so fast, there are days or weeks, that feel endless. Diaper after diaper. Homework after homework. Meal after stinking meal.

But then there is that other side of the coin.

The love.

There is no possible replacement for the love that I feel and receive from my daughters. It is almost magic the way they take over my life and at the same time add to it.
I have lost myself in my daughters and at the same time I have found the real me. They have forced me to define what really matters to me. What I am capable of. The things that I would like to make happen. How I feel about my life and theirs.
Oh, how I love them.
And when I feel this love, cooking a meal, helping with yet another school project, finding a bandaid, changing a diaper, they all become more joyful.

I love mothering.

Most my shirts are stained, my hands are "well worn", my good hair days are just a matter of luck and the list of things I would like to do is tucked somewhere I forgot. Bring me all those people who would dare criticize me or any woman for choosing this life. Bring them on and I'll show them there is nothing, nothing better I could be doing right now. I choose to not be distracted by anything less important. I choose to leave the rest for later. Because as for now, I have chosen to work towards becoming a well rounded, intelligent, bold, loving, talented and some days maybe even good looking mom.

I thank my Father in Heaven for this amazing blessing and responsibility he has given me. I often fall short, but I know that with God's help and the help of so many amazing women I know (moms or not) I can achieve my full potential as a mother and a woman.



3 comments: