Friday, March 12, 2010

What a Week!

2 birthdays, 1 recipe exchange, 1 fifth grade maturation program, 1 birthday party with 6 fifth graders, 3 cakes, tons and tons of aluminum soda cans.

Sara turned 11 on Tuesday. Eleven. How time flies. What a beautiful, smart, cool girl she is. I wonder where she gets it from because I certainly was not like that at her age. Maybe her dad? mmmm.




We got her a cruiser bike. Bought it used (we are commoners after all), and hope to eventually take it apart and paint it a sassy color. We decked it out with a great basket and a bell. I checked her out of school to go out for lunch at the Great Harvest Bakery. We had a lovely time, just the 2 of us. I love my Sara.



Damon turned 36 on Wednesday. I have known him 13 years out of his 36. And I get to spend the rest of forever with him. Yay!

Thursday I went to the recipe exchange. This month it was meals under 400 calories per serving. Everything that looked good to me was over that, so I had a hard time finding a recipe. I ended up making rice and beans and enjoyed a good evening with great ladies.







Friday I got to join Sara at the Maturation Program for all the fifth grade girls. It turned out to be enjoyable, especially since we had already gone through that conversation. I asked Sara if she had learned anything new and she told me "I didn't know it happened EVERY month!"

Friday evening we had a little party with Sara's friends. I felt so lost planning it. When your oldest one turns 11 you can't do a princess party and decorate it all pink. Not anymore. That is so 10 years ago. I did not know how to approach it. We wanted to play blindfolded musical chairs but I was at a loss about what music to play that wasn't Hannah Montana or the what's their name? Brothers. We would like, after all, to teach our kids what good music is supposed to sound like. Then Elvis Presley came to the rescue. Of course! he can make any party cool, hip and happening.
So they played blindfolded musical chairs, pictionary with chocolate pudding as finger paint, freeze dance, and other games, all to the beat of The King. What fun.

About the cans, that's a post of its own. Read on.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Chelsey, good to see you in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and how'd that maturation program go?! Geoff's is coming up soon. He's already been "informed" according to our standards, but it still makes me nervous to have the programs at school. I've found some GREAT books for girls maturation issues if you ever want them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The program this year was pretty basic. Just the girls hearing the girl things. Next year they will have the girls watch the boys' video and vice versa. I am assuming the talk will go a little further then.
    And yes, give me the titles of the books and I'll check them out. I think we've covered everything that needs to be said for now, but it never hurts to double check.
    Isn't it lovely to be a girl?

    ReplyDelete