Thursday, March 4, 2010

Feeling the Earth Move


Saturday, February 27th 2010, 3:37 am. Santiago, Chile.
A 8.8 earthquake has hit my home country. The 6th strongest earthquake ever registered in world's history. All of that followed by tsunamis hitting small coastal towns.
My brother David who lives in England called me at 7:17 am my time that morning to inform me of what had happened and tell me that he cannot contact our parents' home. I gasp. The next half hour is as slow as it could ever be.
Last month Haiti had a 7.5 earthquake and the images of the devastation are still freshly engraved in my mind. Thoughts quickly filled my mind, making my heart race: will I have to go there? would it be possible to go? what will I find? what has just happened?
Through facebook, a kind friend and surprisingly via skype, we were able to contact my brother Ricardo who was at my parents' house with his daughters and aunt Carmen. They were all well and the house hadn't suffered any damages.
Sigh of relief you say? oooh my. YES.
Finding out about my father's side of the extended family took until Sunday afternoon. And thanks to another most kind friend, we found out that they were all well. Thank goodness everyone was OK.
But only if that was all that mattered.
My beautiful country. In shambles. My people suffering.
And I am so far away, alone among people who don't seem to understand my pain.
I have had a knot in my throat since then.
Watching the news and pictures on the internet makes it seem so surreal. Could this really be happening? all the destruction and desolation. People in despair. Some hopeless. Some of them in such an alternate state turn to theft and looting.
Entire towns gone.
But I know my country will emerge from this with a renewed determination to become a better nation. We'll pull together and help each other out. I know God is mindful of all his children, and that along with a trial, he gives them the strength to overcome them and grow.
And this, shall also pass...

No comments:

Post a Comment