Monday, March 15, 2010

Yes, we CAN

As I posted before, the devastating earthquake in Chile left me feeling helpless and quite lonely. And since we had donated money to the Haiti relief, we saw ourselves with very little to donate to my homeland.
So we started an aluminum soda can drive. Something we have done with the girls before to fill the endless hot days of summer and raise funds for a good cause at the same time.
This time, we only gave ourselves one week and hoped for the best.
At first, the response was slow. Then, we announced it at the girls' school. Still, not much. That is because I was looking for the donations in the wrong spot. At the end of the week the girls told me that the can donations were being collected in the lunch room, so we went to see if there was anything for us to take home and WOW! did we ever!
Oh, how happy I felt! I was no longer alone in the world, instead, I had all the families that cared to send the cans to school, the school ladies that helped us get it done and the other families that gave me their donations directly. Thank you world for showing me that caring is easy to do and it makes a huge difference.
I shall post a picture of can mountain soon.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed by your initiative to start a can drive, and then, I assume, know what to do with the cans. Love one another - I love it.

    ReplyDelete